Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Secrets of the Underground





I awoke in a pitch-black room, disoriented and groggy. The floor beneath me was damp, and I lay there, waiting for my eyes to adjust to the complete absence of light. There were no windows, no sources of illumination to guide me. As I tried to sit up, I was abruptly stopped by a solid barrier above, causing me to smack my head against the confining surface. A feeling of panic welled up as I moved my arms, encountering nothing but the same dampness.

 

Desperation led me to attempt moving my feet, wiggling my toes, and bending my knees until they met the unyielding ceiling. I reached up, searching for any opening, but my hands met only empty air.

 

Struggling, I attempted to shift my position, trying to scoot backward, but the space was so constricted that my efforts quickly proved futile. My mind raced with questions, one of which was how much precious oxygen I had left in this cramped enclosure.

 

Finally, I managed to roll onto my stomach, though the darkness persisted, and there was still no sound to be heard. I cautiously explored my surroundings. On my left, I encountered a smooth, damp wall, while on my right, my hand brushed against an object. It felt like a bone – smooth and cold to the touch, with tiny, irregular bumps in some places. It was roughly the length of my hand.

 

In the oppressive darkness, something suddenly stirred. I strained to listen, and my heart pounded as I heard a faint scraping sound – slow and soft. My breath caught, as I was unsure if my mind was playing tricks on me. Then, I heard it again, confirming that there was indeed something in the confined space with me. The sound was not like a slithering creature but more akin to a soft object being dragged across the floor.

 

Determined to escape, I inched forward, my hands outstretched above my head to guide me. The texture of the ground beneath me began to change, no longer flat but sloping upwards. I pressed onward, the strange noises growing closer. There had to be a way out, I told myself, as I dared to hope.

 

With a concerted effort, I managed to lift myself into a crouching position. I reached my arms above my head, anticipating more space or an exit, but my hands met only empty air again. Panic and frustration gnawed at me as I realized there was nowhere left to go. A breeze wafted down from above, and I looked up to discover a small hole emitting a feeble, grayish light.

 

I cried out for help, my voice raspy and hoarse, but my pleas were met with silence. My calls persisted, growing more desperate, and the thing behind me began to quicken its approach. No longer moving slowly and softly, it now scampered toward me with an unsettling intensity. Its breath grew louder and more erratic, and I could smell its putrid stench.

 

In my frantic state, I pounded on the walls, screaming for assistance. Dust rained down over me, and the sounds outside remained elusive. There was nothing but the wind, and no sign of any human presence. As I continued to shout for help, I felt a presence at my feet, and sheer terror gripped me as I felt it begin to climb.

 

It had claws, sharp as a cat's, and its touch sent shivers down my spine. The creature was freezing cold, and I could hardly bring myself to look at it. Stringy hair dangled from its grotesque head, and its eyes were large, black orbs, seemingly even darker than the surrounding darkness. It was about the size of a medium teddy bear, its breath hot and fetid, carrying the stench of death and the unnatural.

 

The creature fixed its gaze upon me, and I let out a scream of pure horror. In a terrifying instant, it lunged for my throat, and my world once again descended into an inky black abyss.